The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury of the knee is common among athletes. A constant overexertion or jerky movements with the foot supported on the floor causes it.
A ligament is a fibrous tissue that joins bones together. It is essential for the proper functioning of the knee. Some research shows that the breakage of this tissue eventually leads to imbalance and injury to the meniscus and cartilage: Osteoarthritic knee degeneration.
Do not despair
The Vithas Medimar International Hospital offers the most advanced arthroscopic surgical technique and an adequate functional recovery for each, and fixation with bioabsorbable screws allowing us:
- Reduce pain and pre- and postoperative complications.
- Do not use plaster.
- Start an early recovery that will decrease pain, joint stiffness and muscle atrophy.
- Minimal scar.
We offer you our vast experience in the surgical and rehabilitation treatment of the sports world. Also, we will add platelet growth factors:
- Less swelling and joint effusion.
- It favours the integration of the tendon surgery.
- We manage you can go back earlier to your labour or sports activity.
We chose replacement surgery according to your personal characteristics and functional requirements:
1) h-t-h patellar autologous surgery.
2) Semitendinosus and gracilis muscle surgery in 4 autologous instalments.
After preparing the graft, we will make tunnels in the femur and tibia to pass the graft into the knee and place it in its proper place (isometric) without opening your knee (arthroscopic technique). Then, we will fix it with bio-absorbable screws. At the same time, we will solve the associated meniscal, cartilage and injuries of other elements with the possibility of a meniscus suture, if feasible.
There will be an injection of growth factors. We shall prevent possible complications (local thrombosis, general embolism and infections) with proper medication. During the postoperative time, it will be placed a pressure bandage. Only in some specific cases, an articulated splint will be placed. You will require two walking sticks.
You will be in the hospital about 48 hours, unless any complications.
The recovery period summarizes as follows
- Two or three days of hospitalization.
- 8-10 days of home rest.
- 4 to 6 weeks with walking sticks.
- From 2 to 3 months of recovery in a gym.
- Two months of sports training
- From 5 to 7 months to return to your usual sporting activities
Unidad de Cirugía de Rodilla y Traumatología Deportiva
Hospital Vithas MEDIMAR Internacional de Alicante