Sleep plays a vital role in good health and well-being throughout your life. However, there are many types of sleep disorders (up to 85 different) and they are more common than believed.
In spite of this, most of these disorders (ignoring the snoring, the sleep apnea or insomnia) are large unknown. Many patients are not aware of the sleep disorder, and those who are, instead of trying to fix it, they try to adapt their lifestyle to “suffer as little as possible”, without thinking that this condition can have treatment.
We need to know that all the sleep disorders have a specific treatment. They can not only be treated. They should be treated. It is important for your health!
Among the most common are INSOMNIA (the patient has difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, frequent awakenings during the night, or waking up too early in the morning); SLEEP APNEA (the disorder occurs when the airway collapses partially or completely, while the patient sleeps, with breath stop phase and snorting or choking sound.); RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME (patient feels a need to move the legs during the night or a feeling of tingling or burning in the legs, making it difficult to fall asleep); EXCESSIVE DAYTIME SLEEPINESS (it can be high due to another sleep disorder or because of an idiopathic hypersomnia or narcolepsy); REM SLEEP BEHAVIOR DISORDER (with sudden or violent movements during the night); SHIFT WORK SLEEP DISORDER; NOCTURNAL EPILEPSY (in children); ANXIETY AND VARIOUS SLEEP PROBLEMS… etc.
Do I have a sleep disorder?
* Do you snore or make breathing pauses during sleep?
* Do you feel tired or sleepy during the day or fall asleep while driving?
* Do you have discomfort or need to move the legs at rest, or in bed?
* Do you wake up during the night without apparent reason?
* Do you make sudden or violent movements while sleeping?
* Do you find it difficult to get to sleep or wake up too early in the morning?
* Do you feel confused?
* Do you suffer frequent headaches?
* Do you feel that emotional changes alter your sleep behavior?
* Do you have difficulty concentrating or frequent failures of memory?
* Do you have episodes of shortness of breath or wake up with shortness of breath?
* Do your family members or friends think that you have changed or that you’re more irritable?
(If the answer to any of these questions is Yes, it is possible that you suffer a sleep disorder)
We help you to improve the quiality of your sleep
In the Sleep Unit of Hospital Vithas Medimar in Alicante we are specialized in sleep disorders, with the posibility to perform the diagnostic tests that are considered necessary for a proper assessment and treatment. We also lead sleep complete studies in the Hospital or outpatient basis.
Dr. Javier Brualla
UNIDAD DE SUEÑO – Hospital Vithas Internacional Medimar