“The zygomatic implant can recover the quality of life for patients with lack of bone”
Newly arrived from New York, from the Noble Biocare Global Symposium, and looking forward to the next Congress of Las Vegas, Dr Ruben Davó, Medical Managing Director.
Maxillofacial Surgeon, just agreed a collaboration agreement with Dental Palmaplanas to offer his services in the Balearic Islands, but always with an eye on his home, Alicante’s Instituto Davó.
– Instituto Davó is a leader in the development and research of the zygomatic implant, what are the latest developments and innovations in this treatment?
We recently published internationally, our study on Quadruple Zygoma with over five follow-up years. This protocol is establishing itself as the first treatment option for patients with complete absence of bone in the jaw. In addition, we have participated in the technical development of new zygomatic implants with refined technical characteristics.
– What are the benefits of an implant?
Zygomatic implants have quickly restored the quality of life in patients with lack of bone in the jaw that until now had to undergo various surgeries to enjoy a fixed denture again.
– Instituto Davó is a training centre besides being a dental clinic. In your opinion, how should quality implantology training be?
In addition to theoretical chats and live surgeries, our centre offers real body practices at the University of Alicante, which makes students come from around the world to learn first-hand the technique of zygomatic implant, which resembles reality very much.
– The training activity takes you through different countries. What is the difference between Spanish implantology in Spain and the one in the rest of the world?
Spain is a country that has reached new heights of excellence, in some cases, even better than in many European countries and even in the United States. Countries in which there is still much to be done are emerging as the Middle East, Arab countries, China and India. However, in many of these countries, multinational companies have impressive growth rates.
– How do dental centres appreciate the rapid growth of franchised and low-cost dental clinics?
In recent years, implantology has been simplified, which is positive for the professional and the patient. However, it has also been commercialised and trivialised. The latter is becomes a serious problem for society, which is increasingly disoriented at this point. They are offering therapies using shoddy materials. These centres are treating patients
who would need the advice of a hospital environment. And often, professionals working there do not have enough experience and therapies become eternal.
– In what research line are you working now?
In addition to minor lines regarding different types of implants, we are carrying out a prospective study together with Nobel Biocare for patients with no teeth in the jaw: it is a protocol that allows placing permanent teeth in just one day.
– What treatments differentiate your centre from other dental clinics?
In addition to all treatments that have to do with the Maxillofacial Surgery with a service of microscopic endodontics, we offer a periodontics service based on bacteriological diagnostic techniques and a very advanced invisible orthodontics service. We also have a team specialised in the treatment of bruxism or teeth clenching. Everything in a hospital setting, of course.